Pre Interview Preparation
- Know the Company’s history, projects and general business.
- Visit their website.
- Look up any recent developments. Have they won any projects recently?
- Find out who the interview is with.
- Read the job description.
- Go over your own CV – know it inside out, make sure you are aware of all the facts and figures on previous projects.
- Plan your response to any potential questions.
- Have a potential career plan prepared – show your ambition.
- Prepare some questions for the interviewer.
- Make sure you can sell yourself – go over any career highlights or personal strengths.
- Plan your journey – make sure you know the location, length of time it will take to get there, etc.
During the interview :
- Punctuality. Arrive early – ideally 10-15 mins. DO NOT be late.
- Switch off your phone.
- Presentation : Look as professional as possible. A company is more likely to hire someone who is well presented and who will best represent their company.
- Introduction : Introduce yourself clearly with a smile and a firm hand-shake.
- Maintain eye contact.
- Be confident in your poise and with your answers.
- Be assertive but not arrogant.
- Answer questions directly and to the point – avoid going off in tangents.
- Sell yourself as much as possible and make sure you know your strengths.
- Be flexible as possible regarding working hours, project location, travel etc.
- Express your enthusiasm in joining the company – have some reasons prepared as to why you want the role.
- Ask any relevant questions you may have about the role and the company.
- Avoid asking questions about salary on offer.
- Thank the interviewer for his / her time at the end.